Adventures And Restoration Of Our 1973 Travco 220 Motorhome

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Interior Part One

I am preparing a post dedicated to the rebuild and direction we want to go with the interior but we will save that for later as during our tear-out last weekend we found yet another area that needs attention. The passenger front floor showed signs of previous water stain on the carpet so we knew we had a possible issue and issue we have. The carpet was hiding a pretty significant problem as the plywood and metal under it were in bad shape. The metal itself was completely separated from the front and side walls due to rust.

On a good note, I think... we found during this destruction that the heater core water lines have been disconnected. I guess we will cover that also in another post.

Carpet removed

Plywood removed. It was nasty

This is what it looked like most of the way around.
Completely separated

Now might be a good time to take a look at the exhaust manifold

Monday, May 21, 2012

RUST. The Entry Step

If you own an old Travco, you know that the restoration job is never done. Yet I think that is the reason we choose these old RV's. It's about choosing the road less traveled, enjoying the world at a little slower pace and enjoying the simple things of life......

Yeah I'm trying to make myself feel better about my newfound RUST issue. From the looks of my entry step with the carpet removed, it looks like my new welder is going to get some more use. My goal for this project is to replace the rusted steel, replace the wood with new treated plywood and install new entry steps.

The fact that you can see the ground might be a problem

Ready for cutting the rusted metal out

Fuel Tank Part Two

We are starting to make a ton of progress. The fuel tank is not yet fully complete but I thought I would keep you up-to date on my progress. This project will be the first for my new/used Mig Welder.

Pretty basic tools for the job. 

Fuel tank back from the sand Blaster

Problem: The rust was through the tank in two locations

The smaller of the two holes

Old cut-out section above and new patch to the left

Fitting the patch

First weld with the new welder. Looks like I need a little practice

Number Two

Fitting number two

The new welder. Also notice the panel clamps holding the tank together.
Bought them from Harbor Freight

All tacked together

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The tools

A fun shot of the tools and sandpaper process lined up from 80 grit to 600 grit. I tried skipping a step or two but the results are not as nice and I had to go back and do those areas over.